King Richard

King Richard

Kianna Grant, Student Writer

“Everyone’s dream can come true if you just stick to it and work hard,” as quoted by Serena Williams. In this movie, King Richard is based on Serena and Venus Williams, two of the most legendary tennis stars. This biopic movie depicts the two sisters’ rise to stardom. The movie also focuses on their father, Richard Williams’ past and how he helped Serena and Venus William along the way. “The film successfully offers a positive representation of a Black family and focuses on Richard’s attempts to be a better father than the one he had growing up,” according to movie critic, Monique Jones.

Some say Will Smith, who plays Richard Williams, was perfect for this role. “Will Smith captures Richard’s essence as a strong-willed man who’s ready to move heaven and earth to make his daughters’ lives better than his.”  Smith’s commitment to this role really showed as he tried to mimic Richard’s Louisiana accent in the film. To Jones, “Smith’s commitment to the role shines through, and his earnestness to give Richard his flowers as a father and visionary happily color the performance.” King Richard’s wife, Oracene, played by Aunjanue Ellis also commanded the screen with her powerful acting. Aunjanue really showed the suffering of a mother who supported her children’s dream despite always trying her best to support her husband’s dreams. “She also brilliantly conveys how those misgivings sowed the seeds for the couple’s eventual divorce,” shares Jones. The actresses, Sidney and Singleton, who play Serena and Venus Williams, respectively,  also need to be praised, as they had to actually learn how to play tennis enough for it to be believable through film. “They also portray the balance between childlike excitement and exuberant confidence that the real-life Williams sisters have for the game, as well as their close bond.” Entirely, this film really is a fantastic film, and depicts black excellence. People who have an interest in tennis or who are fans of the Williams sisters should go ahead and watch it!

Leave a story comment to share your opinion of the movie.