Sing 2

Sing+2

Kianna Grant, Student Writer

It is time for another great movie review! This recently released movie, Sing 2 which is the sequel to Sing has garnered a lot of attention. What is this movie about? Sing 2 tells the story about a theater director koala (Buster Moon) who is trying to get his musical to show at the Crystal Theater in Redshore City. One of the talent scouts tells him his musical isn’t good enough. He ignores her criticisms and sets out on a trip with his crew to Redshore City. “Buster disregards her criticism and takes his ensemble — piano-playing balladeer gorilla Johnny (Taron Egerton), teen pop-singing elephant Meena (Tori Kelly), and pig pals Gunter (Nick Kroll) and Rosita (Reese Witherspoon) — on a road trip to audition for the intimidating Mr. Crystal (Bobby Cannavale), a prominent producer wolf,” states Sandie Angulo Chen, a movie critic. Buster Moon gives false information to Mr. Crystal saying he got Clay Calloway, a big pop star to be apart of his musical.  Mr. Crystal  hires Buster and his crew under the assumption that Calloway would be performing. Chen says, “Buster enlists porcupine rocker Ash (Scarlett Johansson) to help him track down Clay and convince him to be part of the new show. Meanwhile, the original cast deals with learning new skills for Buster’s ambitious dream project.”

Is this movie any good?  Movie critic Angulo Chen describes the movie plot as “uneven.”  According to critics like Chen, the entire plot is uneven, mainly because it “recycles some of the same themes” from the first movie and the “near constant stop-and-start of the musical numbers occasionally lends Sing 2 a frenetic quality” that may not work for everyone. In this movie, not all the characters from the first movie gets complete story arcs. The characters, Johnny and Meena have more special moments to shine in this movies. Chen states, “There’s probably no need for a third film, but audiences who are already fans of the first Sing will enjoy the music and animal laughs.”  Entirely, this movie brings out great serotonin, and those who are interested in musicals should definitely go ahead and watch it.