BTS- BE Album

Kianna Grant, Student Writer

BTS’s latest album, BE, is the fifth studio album produced by them. BTS is a South Korean boy band that made headlines in the U.S. with their 2020 hit single “Dynamite,” which then became the first K-pop song in history to debut at No. 1 on the US Billboard “Hot 100” chart. Critics say, “their versatility enables them to produce a wide variety of music, spanning from hip-hop to pop and R&B.”  This album was inspired by BTS’ perspective of life during the pandemic. The album reflects their personal growth throughout the pandemic. Laci Hampton voiced, “This album has a feeling of home and it feels like the music is truly who they are as artists and makes you feel proud of how much they have achieved.” The songs on this album not only consist of upbeat music but has songs that express deep feelings. Many people have reportedly mentioned that the likeability and overall appeal to people from different backgrounds are what set this group apart from other bands.

The album can be described as a producing in fans an abundance of hope for the future in the face of the bleakness experienced in 2020.  The album exceeded sales of 2,692,000 copies by the end of 2020. One of the songs on the album, “Fly to My Room,” conveys the suffocating feeling of being trapped in a room during the lockdown. The idea that people get from that song is to hang in there and to not give up–pandemic or no pandemic. BTS’ music truly gives their fans comfort. Hampton expressed,  “Their music has a magical effect on you and makes you ponder upon your emotions.”

BTS also attended the 64th Grammy Annual Awards where they put on a show-stopping performance. Critics describe it as “the performance of the night.”  Anyone who missed their incredible performance can check it out on youtube–it will definitely be worth a watch!